Get Road Trip Ideas from Our 4,393-Mile Adventure
In 2006, my wife and I took a 17-day, 4,393-mile road trip with our 15-month-old daughter. We couldn't resist the lure of the open highway—and neither can you. That's why you're reading this page.
Based on the lessons we learned—and the fun we had—on that journey, we started Road-Trip-Ready.com. We're here to walk you through all the preparations you'll need to make before you hit the road. And we want to help you avoid the common mistakes that can turn a potentially exciting adventure into just another long drive.
So, as you explore this website, count on getting answers to questions such as:
>"What road trip essentials should I pack?"
>"Got any tips on how to save gas?"
>"Know where to find cheap motel rooms that won't gross me out?"
>"What's the healthiest fast food to eat on my trip?"
>"Where can I find discount radar detectors online?"
Now, wait a minute!
How can your drive be fun and spontaneous if you plan it all out in advance?
It's simple. You make a plan so you don't have to worry. And then once you're out on the open road, you change your plan whenever the mood hits you. Drive off the main highway. Take an extra long stop. Or spend the night somewhere unexpected.
That's how we took the journey of a lifetime. (And for the record, we had only two Unscheduled Baby Stops in two weeks!)
So, enjoy planning your travels, and we'll see you out on the open road.
- Road Trip Planner: Start Here
- Our road trip planner is a collection of resources that will help you put careful thought into planning the best road trip ever.
- Road Trip Map - The Blueprint of Your Journey
- Your road trip map may be the most important thing you bring with you. Here's how to plan and prepare your map.
- Road Trip Vacation Planning: Start Here
- Are you road trip vacation planning? These trip ideas will get your wheels turning.
- Road Trip Essentials - Don't Leave Home Without Them
- Find out about the road trip essentials you'll need to gather or buy before you leave home. Bringing these items with you can eliminate the need for time-consuming, frustrating stops along the way.
- Road Trip Food - What to Eat and Why
- Finding the right road trip food is a key to a successful trip. Here's what to keep in mind as you search for grub.
- Safest Cars: It All Depends on What You're Looking For
- Learn about the safest cars for your road trip. With crash test ratings and full safety information, you can't go wrong.
- Discount Radar Detectors Online: Where to Look
- Don't waste hours searching for discount radar detectors. Just follow our links and suggestions instead.
- Best Car Seats: Get a Reliable, Safe Seat
- The best car seats are not necessarily the most expensive. We'll help you figure out what you're looking for.
- Road Trip Music: Songs that Keep You Going
- The right road trip music will keep you motivated to drive and focused on the road. It can be especially useful if you're driving alone.
- Road Trips with Kids
- Road trips with kids aren't as hard as they sound. Just plan carefully and have a few tricks in your back pocket.
- How to Save Gas on Your Road Trip
- Wondering how to save gas on your next road trip, or on your daily commute? These tips will help.
- Car Driving Tips - Make it There Safely
- Looking for car driving tips to keep you safe? No matter how safely you drive, these tips will help you.
- Best Road Trip Ever - Let Our Route Inspire You
- Trying to plan the best road trip ever? Read about our 4,393-mile trip and then plan your road trip route.
- Road Trip Pics - Enjoy these Glimpses of Our Journey
- Enjoy these road trip pics of small-town attractions across the USA. Maybe they'll inspire you to take a 4,393-mile trip of your own.