Pilot Travel Center: An oasis you won't want to miss
We used to sail past Pilot Travel Center without even noticing. We
figured it was just for truckers. But then we actually stopped at a
Pilot during our two-week road trip. And now we look for any excuse to
visit these amenity-packed little villages.
In fact, it's not really a road trip unless we visit at least one Pilot Travel Center. Here's why we love Pilot:
- Restrooms. We've found the restrooms to be clean and
well-equipped, though not without the occasional bit of graffiti
directed at anyone in search of a "good time."
- Coffee. Pilot Travel Center is using its coffee as a
differentiator in its advertising, and with good reason. It's easily
some of the best road coffee in America. They usually offer several
selections, including lighter and darker brews, hazelnut, and some
concoction with extra caffeine.
- Food. The food selection is pretty decent. Pilot has
pre-prepared sandwiches, breakfast items, chips and other snacks,
muffins and pastries, and just about every drink you could name.
- Fast food. There's a fast food joint in most locations.
Now, I'm not a huge fast food guy, but sometimes you want to get a big,
hearty combo meal to fill you up for a few hours. The fast food joint
will vary by location - I've seen Del Taco and Subway recently.
- Shopping. We're not truckers, but we love browsing all
the items Pilot carries for truckers. Those guys really live in their
cabs, and Pilot is obviously on a mission to make that experience as
comfortable as possible.
If you want to look at something more
interesting than an interstate while stretching your legs sometime, try
browsing the aisles at Pilot. You may even find a thoughtless gift or
two for the people you're driving to visit.
- Reading material. Who wants to get caught on a long road trip with nothing to read? Check out the newspaper and magazine rack at Pilot.
- Washing machines. Long story, but these did come in handy
during our two-week road trip. When you're out of clean clothes, you're
out of clean clothes.
- Showers. Haven't needed them yet, but there they are.
So, as you're planning your next road trip, find a Pilot Travel Center along the way. Note:
At this writing, several Pilots in our area were in the process of
changing their name to Love's Travel Center. Pilot also operates under
the "Flying J" brand in some states.
Enjoy this page? Share it!
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
New! CommentsWhat do you think about all this? Leave us a comment below.